1.10.17

A Place Called Home

     This weekend, I and a group of friends (Cory, Brooke, Maegan, Josh, and Silvio) went to Cedar Point, an amusement park in Ohio.  On the way, we spent the night at Brooke's grandparents' house who live out in the country in southern Michigan.
     Until I spent time there I didn't realize how much I missed home.  I was fortunate enough to grow up in a tiny town abounding in back roads and cornfields.  I'm so incredibly proud of where I came from.   My little town made me who I am today.
     I was raised on sports, combines, family, playing outside every day, and a Fourth of July celebration that I looked forward to every year.  Even though I didn't live in the country, I had my Dad's side of the family who did.
     My grandparents have such a big part of my heart.  When I was at the farm this weekend I was so happy because it felt like home.  A thousand memories rushed in and all I could think of was how much I missed the places and culture that constantly gave.  They gave me love, an initiative to work hard, and a sense of pride in where I came from and who I was.

     Now I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan and I love it.  But one thing I know is that those cornfields  will never stop calling me home.  There is nothing quite like the beauty of fields filled with produce that you know are only there because of the hard work and determination of a farmer.  Maybe, like in my family, the land is owned by a family.  Maybe three generations farm the same land, working together day in and day out.  Maybe the grandfather still farms just because he loves it.  He knows that it it's just as much a part of him as his right arm.  While Illinois may not always have a lot to offer, it is rich in the pride and abounding love of those who work hard.
     While at the farm, we all went out in the gator which is like a cross between a four-wheeler and golf cart.  After driving around the wooded paths, we drove out in one of the cornfields and stopped just to look at the stars.  With the sky covered in pinions of light I was overwhelmed by the beauty of it all.  It's a beautiful life.  Not just the places and natural beauty but the people and the love that they have for one another.
     I am so grateful for the home and people that made me who I am.  I cannot and will not let the city take the country out of me.  It's instilled deep within my heart and no matter what happens or where I go in my life, rural Illinois will always be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment